Written by Anna Seethaler
It’s that time of year again when we reflect on the things we have to be thankful for. We give appreciation to the people, experiences, and blessings in our life, thinking of how they’ve impacted us positively. It’s the Thanksgiving tradition.
For Ohio University students, though, this holiday takes on a special meaning. It’s a time to say “Thank goodness I’m a Bobcat.”
…So why are we so thankful to go to OU? Here are just a few reasons:
- Beautiful campus: Whether College Green, the bike path, or Emeritti Park, nothing beats the beautiful scenery in Athens, Ohio. Stepping outside onto the bricks feels like stepping right into a painting, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Outstanding opportunities: Here at OU, we students do much more than just attend class. With a
wide range of opportunities to get involved, it is typical for us to have resumes packed with valuable experience… and although we may be busy, we love the work we do!
- The Bobcat Family: Not everyone can say that they’re family consists of over 29,000 people. However, if you attend OU, you surely can. Everyone on campus is bonded by mutual love for our school, which is something that will carry on for the rest of our lives. Wherever we may end up, we know that the Bobcat fam will always have our backs.
- Uptown: Although small, Court Street is mighty. There is never a dull moment when walking among the herds of people headed to Big Mamas, Casa Nueva, Courtside Pizza, or another Athen’s classic. It is the heart of the town and will certainly live in our hearts forever.
- hOUmecoming: Its the most wonderful time of the year! Homecoming weekend is a time for current and past Bobcats to reunite in a tradition full of fun, school spirit, and lasting memories. Not many schools celebrate homecoming to the extent that we do, and we are unbelievably lucky to have an extra holiday added on to each year.
- Culture and history: Founded in 1804, Ohio University has been around long enough to accumulate a rich culture. The Athena Cinema and The Ridges are just a few of the sites that add to our town’s
character. Also, with traditions like the PawPaw Festival and Brew Week, it is easy to distinguish Athens from any other college town.
- Weekend festivities: Since we work so hard during the week, we deserve to kick back on the weekends, and OU certainly knows how to do that. With Mom’s Weekend, HallOUween, fest season, and more, there is always something bringing our students together in celebration of the weekend.
- Preparation for the future: Although part of the reason we are here is to have fun, when it comes time to get down to business, OU has it covered. Upon graduation, we can feel confident in our ability to take on the real world both socially and professionally. Our school provides us with experiences that shape us into better people that will go on to make meaningful contributions to society.
This Thanksgiving, remember all that Ohio University gives to us, and make sure to give your thanks right back.