Are you considering studying abroad for a semester? Or maybe taking an extended exploratory trip to a foreign country? If you are on the fence about traveling and are fortunate enough to be able to do so, it’s time to hop off that fence! Going abroad is one of the most valuable experiences available to students, and here’s why:
- It’s not as hard as you think. Although traveling to a new place seems daunting, there are so many resources out there today that make it extremely doable…especially if you’re traveling with friends!
- You’ll create meaningful relationships. When exploring new areas, you will meet so many people from diverse backgrounds. This will give you the chance to visit them again at their hometowns in the future, while also giving you a perspective outside of your usual friend group.
- It teaches you to deal with adversity. You won’t be able to get your usual groceries at Kroger or interpret street addresses comfortably in English. Overcoming these everyday challenges, however seemingly small, will teach you how to deal with adversity throughout your whole life.
- There will be food you’ve never imagined eating. Yes, food is an extremely important piece of the puzzle. You’ll be surprised by what flavors the world has to offer.
- It is a great learning experience. Seeing the world first-hand teaches you much more than you would ever learn by sitting in a class room. There is an unlimited amount of educational opportunities out there, you just have to find them.
- You’ll gain perspective. Experiencing different cultures and understanding their values and beliefs forces you to see the world differently than you would through the media. Immersing yourself in others’ customs will change you forever.
- It serves as a good transition. If you’re in between jobs, relationships, schools, etc., take this rare opportunity where nothing is holding you back and use it to explore the world. It will bring you closure on the last chapter in your life and will prepare you for the next!
- You’ll always have a cool story to tell. Never again will you find yourself in a social setting, job interview, or writing a paper with nothing to share. The tales of your trip abroad will always make you seem more entertaining, worldly, and knowledgeable, providing unique context to any topic.
- You’ll learn about yourself. All of the opportunities and challenges that traveling brings will force you to reflect and will teach you a lot about who you are as a person and what you want in the future.
- You’ll accomplish your dreams. If you’re currently considering traveling, chances are that you’ve always wanted to. So why put off what you can do now? In this case, living out your dream is extremely possible!
What are you waiting for? Start booking your flights today!